Monday, July 19, 2010

Low technology inventions presentations

It was an interesting, entertaining, and very practical session today when groups were presenting their own thoughts and ideas regarding how to make good use of items off the shelf with reasonable prices. The variety of ideas was amazing, and I was trying to figure out how to benefit from their ideas with some adaptations to fit my class settings and it worked very well. Inventions was an even more exciting experience to me because realizing how my colleagues were adapting the items they bought in order to meet particular needs gave me a broad sense of what I could do to adapt some items to help promote learning or enhance day-to-day experiences. I liked the idea of keeping students in between the lines by using glitter glue and how effective it is to achieve this specific task. I also liked the adapted spoons, forks, brushes, and tooth brushes because it is simple and could have several applications with different tools, tasks, and students. Adapting the kite by using the wooden stick was a phenomenal idea that could be applied to other things that have similar grips.

The whole process of exploring the low-tech assistive technology was exceptional, rich, and useful, since the day that we were introduced to the idea and were going to the store and recognizing things off the shelf that could be useful in classroom settings for a particular special need student we had in mind. The experience to me was like developing a skill to use a tool of enriching classroom activities as it broadened my perception of what could be of great use, support, and help in a classroom setting. I realized that even a small and light item could be of great help in the classroom. I have also experienced the practice of seeing things from a different point of view and in lens of a person in need, because from their side things are different from what I see from my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment